Monday, July 4, 2011

We the People - My Op-Ed

(John Trumbull's The Declaration of Independence - 1795)

When I read the Declaration of Independence and those first words that Thomas Jefferson wrote echo through my thoughts I become disheartened and proud. Disheartened because our country is split, lost its way and its leaders do not look to succeed for its people but for themselves. Proud because I know if a group of people summon the courage that our forefathers brought to help create this nation that we can regain the promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. As a thirty-four year old man who cares deeply for his country and its people I have sought venues in which I could express my thoughts, concerns, and ideas. Yet, having neither money, power, or any platform to stand on I have finally taken to the great equalizer of our time to create a community platform where like minded citizens who are frustrated at the machinations of our current government, its corporations and citizens can speak freely, exchange ideas and open its readers to ideas that do not have to fit a specific ideology. My Op-Ed will provide content at least five times per week by men and women from across the country, professions, and socioeconomic backgrounds that all are looking to have their voices heard.

To a better tomorrow,

Jeffrey E. Porter 

No comments:

Post a Comment